Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre. Where to begin, where to begin? I read Jane Eyre for school last year as part of my 9th grade literature course and I was really excited to read it again for the classics club.

It was even better than I had remembered.

Jane Eyre is the story of a young governess who goes to live in the moor country of England in the stern mansion Thornfield. She is to teach the ward of the puzzling Mr. Rochester. Slowly but surely Jane finds herself falling in love with her stern master and occasionally even feels that he returns her feelings. But there is a mystery surrounding her master one that might blot out every hope of happiness Jane has.

This book is in the fourteen and up range.

That said I shall now proceed to try and convince those of you who are "up" to read this book.

I the first place Jane herself is an awesome character. I find her as a young girl to be very much like myself. Fond of books and thinking, impressed by beauty and capable of becoming almost rabid with rage when pushed to far. However as Jane grows up and comes under the influence of kind teachers and patient schoolmates she becomes meeker and more patient herself, submissive without losing her spark of independence.

I love reading about Jane. The way she talks to herself, her low opinion of her own looks, her art, her solitary walks, it all fascinates me. I never get bored reading about Jane, though on the surface she is most certainly a very boring person.

There is a certain quiet rustle to this tale that makes it hard to put down even when the story itself is quiet. And when the plot thickens....! Forget any laundry you may have had in mind you simply must read another chapter.

Mr. Rochester is another character I never tire of hearing about. This guy is just plane interesting, Rough, rude, and gentle mixed add some striking ugliness and a habit of beetling at people with his eyebrows and you've got Mr. Rochester.

The over all feel of this book is electric it makes you sit up and take notice. The first line alone "There was no possibility of taking a walk that day" is intriguing. Right away you know that Jane is not your normal heroine.

SPOILERS!
The ending... What can I say? Is there anything more beautiful then Mr. Rochester's words to Jane about his salvation? Some say that the transition was to fast. I disagree, we didn't see the transition because Jane didn't but we saw the result and I personally love it.

Oh and does this song remind anyone of what Mr. Rochester might have been feeling while Jane was gone? just replace the word "sing" with "surprise me with your blunt lovable ways"
  

No comments: